Introduction to Project Lombok
Project Lombok is a Java library that will be plugged into your code editor which automatically generates Java boilerplate byte code for you based on a couple of annotations.
Some of the popular annotations include
Incase you're using maven as your dependency management tool, Project Lombok can easily be integrated in your project by adding code below in your pom.xml file.
<dependencies> <!-- https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.projectlombok/lombok --> <dependency> <groupId>org.projectlombok</groupId> <artifactId>lombok</artifactId> <version>1.18.8</version> <scope>provided</scope> </dependency> </dependencies>
It's also possible to integrate this library in your favorite IDE or text editor. i.e Apache Netbeans, Intelli jIDEA, Eclipse, Spring Tool Suite, Visual Studio Code, etc.
For purpose of demonstration. Let's integrate this library in Eclipse.
# Integrating Project Lombok in Eclipse
NOTE: The instructions below assume you already have eclipse ide for java ee installed on your machine.
As of writing,
Eclipse IDE 2019‑06 is the latest version.
- Locate where your maven local repository is located to find project lombok's jar file.
- For Windows
- For Unix systems
- For windows, Double-click the jar file i.e lombok-1.18.8.jar to open it up.
- In the window that opens up, a list of installed IDEs show up.
- After selecting your IDE in the list, Click Install/Update button.
- After installing, Quit the Installer window. And restart your IDE.
To verify that lombok is enabled, Click >> Help tab >> About >> You should be able to see the lombok version right at the bottom of the text displayed in the "About Eclipse Window". i.e
"Lombok 1.16.13 'Edgy Guinea Pig' 2016-12-13 is installed https://projectlombok.org"
- That's it for today. Don't hesitate to leave a comment. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
TIP: You could alternatively get the jar file from Lombok's download page.
You could also use this same jar file to uninstall lombok from your IDE.
"your-username"i.e John and
"lombok-version-no"i.e 1.18.8 with their respective names.
TIP: This is the default path but it may be different depending on a change in installation path settings.
In case a list doesn't show up, Close Can't find IDE window >> Click Specify location... button and navigate to your custom IDE installation directory location.
- How To Use @Getter And @Setter Annotations With Project Lombok
- How To Use @Data Annotation With Project Lombok In Java Applications
- How To Use @Value Annotation With Project Lombok In Java Applications
- How To Use @NonNull Annotation With Project Lombok In Java Applications
- How To Use @EqualsAndHashCode Annotation With Project Lombok
- How To Install Project Lombok In Apache Netbeans
- How To Use @FieldDefaults Annotation With Project Lombok In Java Applications
- How To Use @AllArgsConstructor Annotation With Project Lombok In Java Applications
- Functional Interfaces Before Java 8
- Introduction To Java Streams And Functional Programming
- Build Your First Android App (With No Step Skipped)
- Sequential Data Processing With Streams